Sunday, 2 June 2013

Neo-Renaissance Eclecticism

Alma Mater (2005-2008): University of Aberdeen, est. 1495

Max Scheler, who influenced John Paul II, earned the title of "the Catholic Nietzsche". Tignarius Publications' philosophy is Nietzschean with respect to being highly personal, with an emphasis on existentialism and aesthetics, as well as Catholic truth (which Nietzsche denied).

I have been writing books which I want to share with others. The best way is to do this for free. Obviously, a physical copy is also desirable, and these are available for a price. Yet I make it all available for free by email.

"Tignarius" derives from the Latin for carpenter: faber tignarius, a neo-Renaissance pun on my surname, Stolarski (which means Carpenter or Joiner). The symbol here being Christian carpentry (Jesus' profession), the Cross, and 'fashioning the culture' (hence the motto 'Culture-Crafting Texts'). This is also existential and vocational in its meanings. Bearing the (wooden) Cross, and co-fashioning the culture with Christ. 

Nietzsche is close to my heart because we share a method, and possibly a madness. Idiosyncrasy, and indifference to making loads of money by being recognised, coupled with a genuine concern for truth. Nietzsche was virtually ignored during his lifetime. That doesn't mean I want to be; but neither do I care to be "discovered as an amazing genius" after I die. I don't much care. Whatever, I document my works and make them available.

I combine a Nietzschean streak with Catholic faith, then refract that through my concept of Neo-Renaissance Eclecticism. This means: an "early modern" aesthetic of pluralism, multiple perspectives, and richness; woodcuts, engravings, baroquery, weirdness, melancholy, and faith. That is closer to the real Nietzsche than bland nihilism.

I have studied at the universities of Oxford, London and Aberdeen. I have visited Krakow, Lwow, Pisa, on my academic travels. I was a wandering scholar, and I still am. My academic days are behind me now, however. I have burst through to "real life", but retain the aesthetics of the Renaissance as an inspiration, and a love for early modern history (particularly the Reformation and Counter Reformation).

Hopefully, all this adds up to a means for ecumenism, engagement with secular culture, and an integral humanism summarised in my concept of "heroic normalcy": which includes faith, culture, and knowledge. 

Just email me at tignarius@yahoo.co.uk if you'd like a free book.

No comments:

Post a Comment